Monday, October 1, 2012

Monday Made it- Happy October

 During the summer, I made these out of coffee cans. I knew what I was doing with two of them, but not so sure about the third one.

It became very apparent, very quickly when school started that my idea for positive coupon rewards was going to have to be per class.

I teach 6 classes. I needed 6 buckets. I had two (above) and finally have drank enough coffee for all classes to have their own decorated bucket.

I made a significant change last week in my classroom arrangement. I have always had students sitting in groups, always. Normally four students, but occasionally five, depending on class size.


Well, I have a really tough class this year. I am actually counting my blessings that out of six only one is challenging. Last year, it was the opposite for me. The first thing I did was ask for help from my principal. She arranged for me to have a male volunteer. Sometimes, just a mans presence for my age group is helpful (I teach 6th). Then, I decided I had to get them out of groups. I saw another teacher arrange hers in pairs. She bragged that it was working, so I tried it. My plan was to change it back for the other classes, because in those, it was still working. Well, after sixth period, seventh came in and liked the seating arrangement. They asked if they could keep it. I said sure and now, ALL my classes use this arrangement. It is awesome!!
                                          

I had to make a few adjustments, but it has been worth it. I have always had buckets on the table with glue, scissors, markers, etc... Now, I have boxes for each pair.
I also use these layouts for my sub plans. I have a copy on my desk and write them in pencil in case I need to make changes.

Okay, I know that's not a real "made it" but I had to share.

Something I have made that I am really proud of, is Math Notes for Parents.
At Open House, I had parents ask about tutoring, for them! They haven't done sixth grade Math in a long time and they want to help their child, but don't know how.

So, I added a link to my school web page called, Math Notes and with each new skill and homework assignment I am adding notes for them. Here are a few I have made. Click on each to download.




Looking forward to making more for the next Monday Made it!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You have done quite a bit of work this week! Sounds like you DID drink all that coffee!
    - Michele
    Multiage Moments

    ReplyDelete