Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Reviewing with Task Cards- Left, Right, Answer


We are REVIEWING, like everyone else, for the BIG test coming up next week. 
I have a lot of material to get through, plus it has to be fun and keep my students actively engaged.  

My students use task cards for everything, so reviewing is no different. But, I did have to come up with some new ways to use them. This is the first in a series of 3 activities that I used for review this week. 

I try and make everything seem like a game and I break everything into small pieces for them. 
Enter, Jennifer from 4mula Fun
Her Left, Right, Answer game is PER-FECT for this. 

Here's what I did: 

I created the dice and gave students a recording sheet. There are multiple options for recording sheets based on how many task cards you use. I had 16 cards per group. 


On this day, I used the STAAR Prep review cards from Danielle over at  Live Love Math. They are written in testing format, so it is perfect for this time. Plus, for me they are TEK specific and I love that!!! 

I have six groups in my room. Two sets of tables do the same cards at a time. I differentiate by printing on different colored paper. 

I had an abundance of task cards so I sorted them into 3 groups and we played 3 rounds of the game. 

We played one on a Monday and the other two the next day. Students had about 20 minutes to play each round and that seemed like a perfect time. They stayed engaged the entire time. 

This is a game of chance because of the die. Each student had a recording sheet, but only one student has to answer the question. A student rolls the die and it either lands on left, right or answer. If it lands on left, the student to their left answers the card. If it lands on right, the student to the right answers it. If the die lands on answer, that student must answer it. 

The directions have the students "x" out the box they are not answering, I have my students write the name of the student doing the work in their box. I tell my students that everyone is involved because they must agree on the answer as a table group because they are getting one table group grade. (My students will work for candy or grades, period) 

It is really fun once they get started because sometimes the same students has to answer several questions in a row. The students are active and engaged and LEARNING.



They truly worked on math and reviewed previously learned skills. I allow my students to use their journals during the game as well. This type of activity lends itself to lots of math talk between the students. 


You can get this game here

Any task cards work. 
The ones I used can be found here

I am linking up with Holly for Tried it Tuesday
Be sure to check out other posts on her blog. 






Follow on Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. This is a great way to review! I've never tried this game but think I need to fit it in before next week's tests. My students play for candy over grades I think. :) Haha!
    Thanks for linking up!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete