Monday, September 3, 2012

TBA- Open House Link Party

TBA is having an Open House week. I am linking up.

Open House Week

My name is Elizabeth Hodges and I teach 6th grade Math. I teach in a small town Elgin, Texas. We are  East of Austin. I also live in this small town with my husband and four boys. They are 21, 15, 6 and 2. We have three elementary schools, one middle and one high school. We are the Wildcats and bleed purple. ALL five schools!

I began my 19th year last week. I have taught Kinder, first, 2nd-5th Math and now 6th grade Math. I love teaching math. It is so fun. Middle school on the other hand has been the hardest thing I have ever done.

I am happy to be doing it again after flopping last year. Well, it wasn't a total flop. I teach in a low-socio economic school/district and we are considered a stage 5 campus with TEA. To explain that in layman terms, we are in serious trouble. Well, last year (my first with the district) we made HUGE gains in Math and passed AYP standards. We are still stage 5 though. You have to pass 2 years in a row to get out. So, I can say it was a successful year, but it was H-A-R-D.

This year, I am department head and mentoring two new teachers at my school. Things are very different at school and it all for the better! I am loving teaching this year and working with my new co workers and even enjoying the kids. I'd say the biggest change is my attitude.

My teaching style is hands on for sure. I love stations and interactive notebooks. I am also incorporating tons of things I did elementary into the middle school world because I know it works!

How about you? Can't wait to read about you too!

2 comments:

  1. Didn't know we were neighbors! My former asst. superintendent is now your superintendent. Small world.

    Mrs. H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is a small world!!! So far, I love her!!!!

      Elizabeth

      Delete