Saturday, August 24, 2013

Community Walks- Sparking Student Motivation

Linking up with Joanne over at Head Over Heels to share some motivation ideas. 


My current principal started a tradition at our middle school a few years ago for the teachers to "walk the community" and introduce ourselves to the kids before school starts. 

I hear the first year was a disaster. They tried to do all 6-8. Thank goodness it was before my time. 

Then, it was changed to just 6th graders. 

We divide up and tackle our community. We don't get to them all, but we make our presence known. 

They LOVE it! 


It is HOT though. I live in East of Austin, Texas. We have highs of 99 and higher. We have high humidity. 
We sweat. None of us like to sweat. 



But, we know it makes a difference. It last one hour and we make an impact. 

This year I was in a group with my principal and we went to the scariest part of our town. But, it successful and we accomplished our goal. We met about 6 of our incoming sixth graders and made a presence with all us walking down the streets like a gang. (Safety in numbers ya know!)

We leave yard signs as well. I love having one of these in my own yard.



Next week when the kids arrive, they love to say "you came to my house" or "I saw you in our neighborhood". 







Follow on Bloglovin

6 comments:

  1. What an amazing way for you to reach out and make an impact on your community.

    Hunter's Teaching Tales
    Find me on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is really old school! I bet it really makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I love it!!! I bet that makes the difference for so many of your students! It shows you care and you want to make a difference (even if you're sweaty!). Thanks for linking up friend and sharing a wonderful idea!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a FABULOUS idea! I can only imagine how very hot it must be. I think you could cut the humidity with a knife right now in Florida. You go girl for getting out there and making the 6's feel welcome!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete