Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Tried It Tuesday- Review Activities

Time to link up with Holly for Tried it Tuesday

I am so excited to share TWO activities I tried  this week for our review. It's all about low stress reviewing for me and my students. 
These two activities were quick to prepare and my students had fun completing them. 


Review Activity One: 
Bingo 

Students had a blank bingo board. 


I put all the answers on the white board for students to write on their board in any order they chose. 
This was actually harder than it should have been. It is actually quite a skill to copy from the "board" in random order. I'm not being mean, I am serious. I had so many students get confused because of the randomness of writing these fractions. 

After the boards were made, I showed an index card on the white board with a problem. 

Students solved it. I walked around and monitored. I wanted to make it clear from the beginning that the expectation was for every student to solve the problem. 

Then, I flipped the index card over with the answer and the "how", so students could check their work. 


This really led to some good questioning about finding common denominators, subtracting from whole numbers, etc. Just processes that they need reminders about since we haven't been focusing on this concept lately. 

We continued to play for the class period, until a student had 5 in a row for Bingo. 

Each class had at least one winner. 


I had a sub in the afternoon and because it was completely laid out and easy, it was pretty successful in those classes as well. 

Review Activity Number 2
Inside/Outside or Speed Dating 

I called this Inside/Outside because with this "Spring Season", my sixth graders can not handle me calling this Speed Dating. 

First, my desk are set up with an inside set and an outside set. Students face each other. 

Teacher Note: I placed students in the inside that I know cannot handle much moment. I needed this activity to move quickly and managing movement was my biggest challenge. 

Students were given review questions. I am using cards made by Live. Love. Math. These are STAAR review questions, perfect for what we need right now. 

Students are given 2 minutes to work with a partner on a problem. Then we go over it for 1 minute. 

I used a FREE online timer. This really helps them stay focused on the problems they are working.  

The outside students moved to the left and they worked the next problem with a new partner. 


We repeated this process over and over again. 

All students were on the same problem. 
The difference was being able to work with different people for each problem. 

What we didn't finish in class was assigned homework. 

So far, I would say, I will use both activities again. For me, that spells SUCCESS! 





Follow on Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. Ooh! I'm especially loving your first activity! I was looking for a review activity for Thursday and I think this might be it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! Fabulous ideas and exactly what I need for the rest of the week! Thank you!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the tip about placing students who can't handle movement on the inside! What a great activity for review with maximum engagement! :)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am particularly caring your own very first exercise! We wanted an evaluation exercise with regard to Thurs as well as I believe this may whether it is!


    英雄联盟代练价格 league of legends boosting  Buy Fifa 15 Coins  LOL boosting

    ReplyDelete