Wednesday, August 27, 2014

The ABC's of Mathematics

For my first day back, I didn't want to bog my students down with rules, rules, rules. I tried a different approach. 

First, they came in and Matched their Seat by answering an equation. This just got them thinking Math. Some, it scared because they weren't all easy. 


Then I had a crazy foldable for them to put together for their class syllabus. This was created by Live. Love. Math. You can get it here




Next, I gave each card an index card with a letter from the alphabet. I used old stickers I have from my creative memories stuff. I used to scrapbook, now I blog. 

Students had to brain storm and come up with a math term using their letter. They had to write the word, define and illustrate. Since it was the first day, I let me ponder for about 2 minutes before giving them some Math glossaries for help. 

I thought they did pretty well. Like I said, I just wanted them to get into the hang of thinking mathematically when they enter my room. 




And, much to my neighboring teachers dislike, I already have student work on display in the hallway! 
Nanny, nanny, boo-boo! 


The last 5 minutes I discussed my RESPECT rules. 

I can't tell you how many times I heard, "wow, this class flew by". 

Don't get me wrong, I know you have to discuss procedures and expectations with kids right away. I do. I just didn't spend the whole 54 minutes I had with them scaring them about middle school. Trust me, they were already scared! 

I hope you are having a fantastic first week, month, whatever day you are on... back to school! 








Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete