Wednesday, May 28, 2014

It's all about the Ears!

My son is hearing impaired. Ears are a big deal in our household. I know more about the ear and how it works and doesn't work than most people. 

In kindergarten he started wearing an external Baha from Cochlear. His is not surgically implanted. He wears it externally.  In first grade we tried a microphone but it never really worked. I didn't push the subject because he was hearing with the use of his Baha, and academically he was doing fine. 

His hearing is worsening. He is now completely deaf in his left ear. His doctor suggested we get an FM in place at his school. 

The process started in February, he just received the system a few days ago. Yes, the process is long and ridiculous, but it is what it is. 

Last week, I went to see how it is working. That little silver piece is placed into his Baha and it transmits from the microphone his teacher wears. 



Right now he can't tell us if he hears her better or not. He had surgery on that ear in March and still has packing in there, so it is hard to tell. (that's why he still has cotton in his ear) Plus, I know his Baha needs as adjustment. But, I am so pleased that this is in place for him. 

Our district is too small to have a hearing impaired teacher. We contract services from our Region Center. They have been great. They offer a lot to us as parents and provide a lot for my son. So far, we are pleased. I am glad we have a few days to practice with it before the school year ends. When school resumes in August, he will have it available to him from day one.


Does your district have hearing impaired students? Do you know what services are available for those students? 







Follow on Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. I'm just getting through my posts. How is the new system working? I hope it is helping him! I'm sure our District has services, but up to this point, I have not had any students that needed them. That's a really good question...I need to find out the answer to that question.
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete