Tuesday, July 8, 2014

The Forgotten Post- The Real Number System (FREEBIE)


I started this post when we had 18 days left of school. For some reason, it never got completed or published. 

So, it's a little late, but worth it. (I hope) 

For us, with new math standards, we are actually introducing new information to help with students with a head start and in case any gaps happen. I like the idea, but again, so hard to motivate them. 

I am still heavy into my interactive notebooks. 

First, we taught multiplying and diving fractions. Thankfully, we have had some fun activities.
My students loved making and using the wheel. I tell you, it's the simple things they love! 


Then, we taught the number system. We will do this at the beginning of the school year next year, so this was practice for how we want to teach it next year. 
I used the lesson from Math = Love. I love her nesting boxes. I didn't get mine made, but showed my students the boxes on her blog. My job this summer is to collect boxes to make my own. 
We made this in our notebooks. 


We also made this, notice that the flippable is not in a good order. I taught it and then realized I should have ordered them differently. That is the beauty of pre teaching for next year, I have corrected my error. 

The reordered notes can be found here. Since I haven't added anything for a while in my store, I made it a FREEBIE! Enjoy!
There is a version for students to fill in the blank. I like this form of note taking because for some reason, they will follow me when its fill in the blank. 


I found a cool map representation. I found here
We adapted ours to match Texas. It was fun and they really liked it. 
The whole numbers are our county.

The natural numbers are our town. 
I was even able to get our school in the picture. They liked that. 

I can't wait to use these with my new students next year. 





Follow on Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. Haha, being from New Zealand, seeing Australia represented as the "irrational numbers" made me giggle.
    cool idea!

    Erin
    Learning to be awesome

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a FABULOUS idea! I love the relationship to geography. I might have even remembered this better in school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have the real numbers in 6th grade in Texas? That's crazy! I love the idea of using your state! I will be using that this year for sure! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete