Monday, July 23, 2012

My Teacher Story

Thanks to Jayne from Frogs and Cupcakes for hosting this linky party to help me reminsce about why and how I became a teacher.




I am entering my 19th year of teaching so I have to think way back.

In high school I knew I would go to college. I also knew I would go to Texas A&M Universit (WHOOP!). I didn't know what I would major in though.  First, I went to community college and just took the "basics". I followed a boy to SWT, now Texas State, and that didn't work out, so I headed home to sulk.

After two weeks my dad told me to "Take a shower and  get a job" I should have known he wouldn't let me sulk long. Heck, looking back, I am shocked he gave me two weeks.

I needed a full time job and I think it was my Dad that suggested working as a substitute for the school district. I just saw it as a job and knew I could get him off my back.

I ended up working everyday and finding my calling. I think I did high school once, but since I had graduated just a few years before, it was awkward. I worked at a few middle schools and called the office and asked them to never send me there again. There were always needs at the elementary schools and I stayed busy.

It was really good experience and I worked hard at getting accepted back at A&M and headed there that summer. I officially had a major, Interdisciplainary Studies... aka Education! I also knew I wanted to teach Kindergarten, so I went the Early Child hood route.

My student teaching experience was wonderful and I knew I made the right choice.

In the past 18 years, I spent 3 in Kindergarten, 1 as an elementary Math Coach, 10 in 1st grade, 3 as a Math Interventionist and 1 as a 6th grade Math teacher. Ironic, that I teach middle school.
Never say never...LOL

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

E!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you have had a fairly wide range of experience!! Thanks so much for linking up and sharing! :)

    Janaye
    Tales of Frogs and Cupcakes

    ReplyDelete