Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Tuesday Tried It- Another Math Notebook Testimonial

So, I gave myself an A for effort with this next "tried it". 

It worked, but it wasn't pretty. 

I wanted to make a flip book for percents for my students. This is the first time I was teaching tax, tip and discounts with my advanced students. 

I created this flip book during Thanksgiving break, but didn't print it because of printer issues at home. So, Monday morning, I printed what I needed before school and started making it with my first period. 

I love these kids. They know I make a ton of mistakes with them and they still love me. I think they secretly love to find typos and errors in things I give them. 

Anyway, we started putting it together and it didn't look right. It was actually an easy fix and we just trimmed what we could and rewrote one of the words. 
But, hating that it was wrong, I fixed it and reworked it for my afternoon classes. It still wasn't perfect, but better. It's something I plan on working on.

This is how it ended up. It worked. 
 The inside worked perfectly. I actually taught with the examples I had typed on the inside. They wrote the notes next to steps. 
I used examples from the same task cards they would be using. (I knew we wouldn't get through all of them) 



So, we have this great, okay, so-so foldable all about percent. Students worked on task cards from Live Love Math which are challenging!!! 

Another reason I love my kids is because they really do understand why we make foldables. WITHOUT BEING TOLD, they opened up their math notebooks and took out the foldable and worked the problems! 


I say SUCCESS!!!! That is the whole point of making these things. Students NEED to USE them. they don't have to be pretty or colorful either. 

Students need to understand these notes, foldables, flip books, whatever you call it, are their resources and must be used. 

I even had a student say to me, "Mrs. Hodges, We are creating a Math book, I think." I smiled and said, "Yes, yes we are!" 

Be sure to link up with Holly at 4th Grade Flipper and share your "tried-it's". 








Follow on Bloglovin

6 comments:

  1. I love it when my kids "get it" without me having to tell them! I've been working on making my own foldables this year and have run into similar issues. At least we are trying!

    Rissa
    Keep Calm and Hoot On

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great that your students appreciate what they are making and know how to use it! My kiddos have started calling me the foldable queen...and I always tell them that "close enough is good enough" when it comes to cutting and spacing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think when you make mistakes it makes you human. It is great when they understand what the foldables are for and use them.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those task cards are challenging :) I am using them with my 8th grade regular kids in January! Thanks for the shout out...you are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolute success! I'm impressed. I wouldn't even know where to begin to try to make something like this. Can you come to my class and teach percent, tax, tip and discount? I'll love you forever!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this! It is so great that your students are recognizing that they are making a "math book" for their reference! I also love how you tweaked the notebook from the morning to the afternoon classes. What a great post! :)~
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete