Saturday, January 25, 2014

Sparking Motivation- Individual Homework Banners

Okay, so in middle school homework is a BIG deal. 

I have structures in place. My students know they will have homework Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, without fail. They know we go over the next day. They know they get a six weeks grade for it through the No Homework Binder. We have done this since day 1. 

Two weeks ago, I implemented the Homework Banner. Students seemed excited. I offered free homework FOR A WEEK to the class who spells homework. They were excited. (Or so they pretended). 

This is my board 2 weeks later. 

(thanks to an ice day yesterday, I do not have a picture. I will update on Monday) Picture a board with about 3 letters total. NOT many!  


Insert a teacher sad face. 

I am sad because in most cases, the classes missed getting a letter because of ONE student, and not always the same student. This is discouraging some of my students. Not the ones who struggle getting their homework done, the "good ones". You know, the students who do their homework every time, without fail. The ones who would never want to not do their homework. 

They get the "100" in the gradebook for the six weeks because they always have their homework, but they aren't getting the homework letters and it is really bothering them. 

So, this is what I came up with. 

First, we will continue the class homework banners. Two weeks isn't enough time to throw something out. 

But, each student will have their own "Homework banner".

Each day they have their homework, they will color a letter. I will initial it. Then, we they complete it, they will get to choose from my reward cards. This of course includes, a free homework pass. 

We are starting this Monday. Stay tuned, I will let you know how it goes. 

Click here for a FREE copy. It's nothing fancy, but worth a try, right? 

Be sure to link up with Head Over Heels for Teaching and GET MOTIVATED! 









Follow on Bloglovin

7 comments:

  1. I love this! What a great idea! Thanks for sharing. :)
    ~Heather @ Loose Shoelaces

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the individual idea too since I also have had trouble with the whole class reward. I would love to see what your reward cards are! (I always need more reward ideas!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of the individual banners. Maybe that will be a motivator to those that really want to earn the No Homework for a week! :)
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea Elizabeth! This will be appreciated for those who always do their homework and don't have to count on the whole class. How much does homework count as a part of their final grade? (We aren't allowed to take homework for a grade in elementary in our county-I don't think the kids know that, but sometimes I wish we did take it for a grade. I just check it in for completion and spot check for accuracy.) Thanks for sharing and linking up!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this, and I think your students will too. You can't go wrong when you offer an No Homework Pass. Good luck. I am looking forward to seeing how it goes.

    Mary
    Fit to be Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Check out this website here. It's about online college essays services.

    ReplyDelete