Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Wacky Wednesday-Fridge Redo and Teacher Week Link

It's my last day of summer vacation. This post will probably be all over the place. 

First. yesterday I shared my fail for my refrigerator and the mod podge idea. Not sure if I mentioned that the process was over an hour and a huge MESS! 

I decided to use duct tape. My classroom theme is polka dots, but I also have to incorporate my college per my principal. So, I decided to duct tape it maroon. I'm a Texas A&M Aggie... WHOOP! 
My idea is to add white polka dots or A&M symbols. 


It looks pretty good, way better than the paper. I have my classroom phone and an Aggie picture frame on the top. (yes, I will get a recent picture in the frame) I am satisfied. Oh, and I should mention it was ten times easier, not messy, but it did take an hour. 


Then, I went to a three hour leadership meeting and found out that our district has decided we can no longer have refrigerators, microwaves, coffee pots, warmers, etc... in our classrooms. 

WHAT??!!! 

I just spent over two hours making that thing cute and NOW you tell me!!! I am so bummed. 
I have decided to just unplug it and use it to keep my phone and photo on top. I do not have a place to keep that in my house. 
Not to mention I am ticked that I can't keep my lunch cold and cold water in my classroom. But, apparently it is a non-negotiable. 

Yesterday for teacher week it was classroom reveals.I was not ready to share anything yesterday,  and I didn't want to post old ones. 

I do have a few to share today. Nothing is 100% done though. 

My behavior management plan 

Desk are labeled. Important for the first day activities

Test Taking Strategies Board. (Still needs border) 


Love this saying, so I had to incorporate it.
I  think it is very powerful! 








  


Today's teacher week is to share organizational tips for teaching materials. 
Again, I don't feel ready for that either.

But, I have a few things.

First, my "While You Were Out" board. When a student is absent, I write their name on the paper and stick it in their period folder. Found out after this was done that I am teaching 1st period, not 4th. UGH... But then again, glad not to have first period off! (oh, and this still needs border too)

This year I have two preps; Advanced Math and Regular Math. These will have Monday- Friday hanging folders and the papers I need for each day. 
 This file will have things like "to copy", "to laminate", my reward tickets, important stuff like that.

The other important organization I am creating the longer I teach sixth grade is keeping materials together.
I have boxes for the games I create. 


I have a file for each unit and things we do as well. 
Sorry, no picture of my files. 

As far as organizing my most important tool, my interactive notebook. I keep everything in here! 


Be sure to join up with this fun linky with Erica over at Blog Hoppin'

 







Follow on Bloglovin

8 comments:

  1. Elizabeth! I number my tables in almost exactly the same way!
    That is TERRIBLE news about the refrigerator :( I liked the new look... So sad!
    I think the "three hour leadership meeting" is one of my least favorite days of the whole year. I go back in two weeks and I am already dreading that event.
    Sending you good luck wishes...

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were told last year we can keep our refrigerators in our classrooms, but there will be a charge for using them in school. I told them to "forget it" and took mine home.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they aren't even offering that as an option.

      you are right, not worth it.

      Elizabeth

      Delete
  3. WOW! I can't believe after all that hard work that you can't keep your fridge plugged in. Craziness. The duct tape turned out great though!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking this must be the newst wave of "education reforms" - we were told no refrigerators/microwaves either but then the district backed off for THIS year. Your frig looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just feel sorry that after the hours you spent in transforming your fridge into something great you ended up not able to use it as a fridge. It seems frustrating. But I guess it is great place for your phone and photo.

    Lyt.com

    ReplyDelete